The Mediterranean diet is a lifestyle that includes a balanced eating plan, plenty of physical activity, and an emphasis on sharing meals and good times with friends and family. It’s associated with better heart health too.
But you don't have to live in Italy or Greece to follow this eating plan. Capture the taste of the Mediterranean with artichokes, olives and fresh tomatoes in this vibrant pasta. Fresh basil and grated parmesan add a savory finishing note. It’s a one-dish meal that can be prepared in about 20 minutes! Can be made with regular or whole grain pasta.
- 1 box (375 g) whole grain penne (10 cups cooked)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch (about 8 cups/2L) kale, chopped
- 1 jar (3/4 cup / 175 mL) artichokes, drained and chopped
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 cans (each 120 g) flaked white tuna in water, with water reserved (not drained)
- 1 cup (250 mL) grape tomatoes, halved
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) salt
- ¼ cup (60 mL) water
- ¼ cup (60 mL) Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ cup (125 mL) fresh basil
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium. Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Add kale and saute until wilted, about 7-8 minutes.
- Add artichokes, olives, tuna, water from canned tuna, tomatoes and salt, stirring to combine. Cook 3 minutes, adding water as necessary if sauce is dry.
- Add cooked pasta and stir to combine.
- Serve into individual bowls and top with Parmesan and basil.