The irresistible combination of butternut squash and kale is made better with millet and topped with crispy Halloumi.
Makes 4 servings
Recipe by Alyson Martinez
½ cup millet
1 cup water
1 package of peeled, cubed butternut squash
1 tbsp. grapeseed oil
1 5oz. container of baby kale
¼ tsp. dried red chili flakes
6 fresh sage leaves
250g halloumi cheese
¼ tsp. salt
- Combine millet and water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Turn heat down to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and uncover.
- While millet is cooking, place skillet on medium-high heat. Add oil. When oil is hot, add butternut squash. Cook until the squash is browned and softened. Remove from skillet and place in a large bowl.
- Keep the skillet on the heat and add kale, sage and dried chili flakes. Saute until the kale reduces. Remove from skillet and add to the bowl with butternut squash.
- Slice Halloumi cheese into ½” slices. Place in skillet and cook until it develops a brown crust.
- Add cooked millet to the butternut squash-kale mixture. Stir and add salt. Place hot slices of halloumi cheese on the top of the salad. Serve and enjoy!