Quick-to-cook whole grain bulgur and quinoa are the perfect base for this Mexican-inspired dish, which features black beans, corn, cumin, and lots of fresh cilantro. Bright, flavourful and lively, this salad is so versatile that it can be enjoyed as an appetizer, side dish or main course. And, the leftovers make a fantastic take-along lunch!
½ cup (125 mL) bulgur
½ cup (125 mL) quinoa
2 cups (500 mL) water
1½ (375 mL) cups corn kernels
1 can (540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 red pepper, seeded and diced
1 cup (250 mL) chopped fresh cilantro
½ cup (125 mL) fresh lime juice
½ cup (125 mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt, plus more to taste
1 tbsp (15 mL) cumin
1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh cilantro
- In a medium-sized pot, add bulgur, quinoa and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- In a serving bowl, mix together the corn, black beans, red pepper and cilantro. Add cooked bulgur and quinoa and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, oil, salt, cumin and cilantro.
- Pour dressing over the bulgur-quinoa mixture and stir to combine.
- Serve with fresh lime wedges.